Child sexual abuse is a growing problem today with many children getting sexually abused by the same people who should be loving them, protecting them, and nurturing them. Too much abuse goes on behind closed doors in homes where the children should feel safe. The majority of cases go unreported while the child carries the guilt and shame alone with the weight of this burden which they were not meant to carry. We have to stop the silence so that we can stop the violence.
Facts About . . . Child Sexual Abuse
- In the USA, about 1 out of every 4 girls and 1 out of every 6 boys is sexually abused.
- Approximately 70% of child sexual abusers report experiencing sexual abuse in their own childhood.
- Approximately 30% of sexual abusers are family members.
- Approximately 60% of sexual abusers are known to the child but are not family members.These may be babysitters, family friends, or neighbors.
- Less than half of all sexual assaults on children are reported to the police.
- Disabled children are at higher risk for sexual abuse than non-disabled children.
- Child abusers usually do not use physical force but instead manipulate or groom their victims by buying gifts, playing games, doing special activities, exposing children to pornography, and roughhousing to keep a child engaged with and often confused about the abuser’s motives.
- Only a fraction of abusers are caught and convicted for their crimes.
Dear Lord, You see the multitude of children who are being sexually abused by parents, family members, babysitters, friends, and even professionals who should be protecting the children. Expose the abuse and the abusers. Bring healing and restoration to every victim who has been wounded by this horrendous act. We pray that laws will be changed to protect the children more instead of the abusers and bring all that is done in darkness into the Light… in Jesus’ Name. Amen.